[lat.: commoneo- to put in mind, sich an etwas erinnern, zu Gemüte führen.]

22. Dezember 2015

A Christmas Carol *7

The Phantom was shrouded in a deep black garment, which concealed its head, its face, its form, and left nothing of it visible save one outstretched hand, its mysterious presence filled him with a solemn dread.

“I am in the presence of the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come?” said Scrooge. The Spirit answered not, but pointed onward with its hand.

 “Lead on!” said Scrooge.

“Lead on! The night is waning fast, and it is precious time to me, I know. Lead on, Spirit!”

  The scene had changed, and Scrooge glanced round the room in obedience to a secret impulse, anxious to know what kind of room it was.

He almost touched a coffin on which, beneath a ragged sheet, there lay a something covered up, which, though it was dumb, announced itself in awful language. 
Unwatched, unwept, uncared for, was the body of a man.

“Spirit!” he said, “this is a fearful place. In leaving it, I shall not leave its lesson, trust me. Let us go!”
Still the Ghost pointed with an unmoved finger to the head.
“I understand you,” Scrooge returned, “and I would do it, if I could. But I have not the power, Spirit... ”
“I am the man! Spirit!” he cried, "Hear me! I am not the man I was. I will not be the man I must have been but for this intercourse. Why show me this, if I am past all hope!”
“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead,” said Scrooge.
“But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!”

 "Assure me, Spirit,  that I yet may change these shadows you have shown me, by an altered life!”

Kommentare:

  1. Silly me!.... for one minute on seeing the bread tray and body shape covered in cling film I though that we were back with the Snow White saga!
    Must keep my 'wits' about me and not get side tracked! All this continued card writing and present wrapping is obviously 'doing my head in' as they say!

    PS.Love the close up photo of the PJs and dressing gown!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. You've got it, Kendal _)
      I couldn't resist doing kind of a déja vu. But I stay at Dickens until the end now.

      Löschen
  2. The tale continues... now poor Scrooge is dead! well not quite but in his future, will he have learnt the lesson of his nasty old ways... only the continuing of this tale will tell.. :)xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. This is very good once again....what with you and Dee, such stories are made with these Sasha/Gregor dolls!
    I look forward to the next installment!
    Big hugs Sharon xxx

    AntwortenLöschen