[lat.: commoneo- to put in mind, sich an etwas erinnern, zu Gemüte führen.]

22. Dezember 2015

A Christmas Carol *8 The End

 “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. 
I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. 
The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me.
 I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. 
Oh, tell me, Spirit, I may sponge away this picture!”

In his agony, he caught the spectral hand. It sought to free itself, but he was strong in his entreaty, 
and detained it.  The Spirit, stronger yet, repulsed him ...
... but then it shrunk, collapsed, and dwindled down into...  a candle ... AND ...
"I am here! HOME! The shadows of the things that would have been, may be dispelled. They will be. I know they will!"
"I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!” Scrooge repeated “The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this!"
"I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man.
 "It’s Christmas Day!” said Scrooge to himself. “I haven’t missed it. The Spirits have done it all in one night. They can do anything they like. Of course they can. Of course they can. Whoop!”
Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; 
and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. 
He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world.

Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms.



His own heart laughed: 

and that was quite enough for him. 

 

 Einige Leute lachten, als sie ihn so verändert sahen; aber er ließ sie lachen und kümmerte sich wenig darum, denn er war klug genug, zu wissen, daß nichts Gutes in dieser Welt geschehen kann, worüber nicht von vornherein einige Leute lachen müssen: 
und da er wußte, daß solche Leute doch blind bleiben würden, so dachte er bei sich, es wäre besser, sie legten ihre Gesichter durch Lachen in Falten,
 als daß sie es auf weniger anziehende Weise täten. 
Sein eigenes Herz lachte, und damit war er vollauf zufrieden.


Many thanks to Charles Dickens, who -as everybody knows - is the author of the original "Ghost Story of Christmas":

Kommentare:

  1. Congratulations A Triumph! Wonderful telling of this tale of a Christmas Carol.I love the photo of Scrooge dancing with joy that all will be well.
    Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight :)xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I just love happy endings to stories!
    I absolutely adore your Scrooge character in those most attractive PJs and dressing gown.....(plus the rest of the Christmas Carol cast!)
    Wishing you and your family, and all your blog followers, a very happy Christmas and a healthy New Year.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Delightful conclusion.
    Wishing the Commoneo Crew a very Happy Christmas and a Good New Year!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. This was a wonderful and fantastic story, I really enjoyed it and you did so well with it and the photos...you have a great imagination.
    Have a lovely lovely Christmas, and I hope teh New Year will be good for you and your family too.
    Big hugs Sharon xxx

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Thanks thanks thanks ... a merry christmas to all of you.
    And a good night of course!

    For us this is indeed 'the night before Christmas'
    and we just read the poem together :)

    AntwortenLöschen